The Spiritual & Magickal Uses of Kananga Water
Kananga water is a fragrant, alcohol-based perfume used in Santeria, Hoodoo and other magickal practices. Frequently incorporated into rituals of purification and in memorializing departed ancestors, Kananga water is very popular among people of African descent in the United States and the Caribbean. It is similar to Florida Water, in that it is known for its cleansing and protective effects.
Kananga plantations were first established in Jamaica in the 19th century by the British. The spiritual water has a strong, sweet scent and is made primarily from the ylang ylang flower. The orange color of the water comes from its yellowish orange petals of the flowers. Suitable for both men and women, the powerful perfume can be used in a variety of ways.
Spiritual Uses of Kananga Water
- The stimulating floral scented cologne is commonly used for ritual offerings and purification.
- When seeking guidance from ancestors, place a bowl of Kananga Water on your altar as an offering. It will help to remove negative energy and interference to allow for a clear reading.
- Add a few drops of Kananga Water to a spiritual bath to encourage protection and guidance.
- Mix with cold water and add to a spray bottle. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator. Spray on a cloth and wrap the cloth around your neck on hot days.
- Hang a horseshoe over your door and sprinkle it with Kananga Water to invite prosperity into your home.
- Wipe down all of the items on your altar with Kananga Water to cleanse them of any negative energy and clear them to receive messages from the spirits and ancestors. *NOTE: Kananga Water is flammable and should never been placed directly on a candle or too close to a flame.
- For help drawing money, add a few drops to a bowl set beside your bed and light a Fast Luck/Money Drawing candle while focusing your intention on your desired goal. *NOTE: Kananga Water is flammable and should never be placed directly on a candle or too close to a flame.
- Believed to assist in people suffering from depression, the calming effect of the perfume can be used your body to keep sadness a way.
- Mix Kananga Water with Orris Root Powder and White Rose Water and anoint your floors, windows and doorways to attract love and peace.
- After a bath, dab some Kananga Water Cologne on your wrists, neck, heart and ankles for protection and a feeling of balance.
Other Uses of Kananga Water
Kananga Water is also used as scrying water and for other ritual and cosmetic purposes. Its pungent aroma makes it a wonderful choice for perfume or cologne. Sprinkle some into your bath water to help ease the aches associated with fever. Add a few drops of Kananga Water to your body lotion to keep you smelling like the ylang ylang flower the entire day. The floral aroma will invoke thoughts of joy and improve your mood.